Monday, August 23, 2010

Our New Toys

A few weeks ago, Jeremy and I had a little date night.  I say little because it was shared with a softball game.  So, we had about an hour before the game to hang out together.  Jeremy decided to borrow his parents bicycles in hopes we could ride around somewhere fun.  Unfortunately, it was raining everywhere.  So, we grabbed a bite to eat at Moe's, then went home.  At home, it had cleared up, so we decided to ride the bikes to the softball fields, about 2 miles away.

I so much enjoyed riding a bike (I think it's been since high school for me) that I started obsessively looking on Craigslist for a bicycle.  I spent time trying to figure out how I could get my whole family to go on bike rides with me.  But, I realized that we did not want to spend a few hundred dollars on bicycles, bike seats and trailers for the children.  I pretty knew it wouldn't work out.

Until......I went to Target and happened to find their bike trailers marked down 50%.  I bought the bike trailer (which seats two children), even though I didn't have a bike.  My Craigslist obessesion started again as I checked every 5 minutes for bikes to be listed.  I decided I didn't want to pay for than $30.  I garage saled that week and came up empty.

After our Sunday afternoon nap, I checked again and found 2 bikes for sale, each $30.  They were in Ft. Myers, about 30 minutes away.  After we spoke with the owner and checked the bikes out on line, we decided to get them. 

We have had a lot of fun the past week going on bike rides.
In the morning, I ride my bike with Nathan and Hannah pulled behind me in the trailer, and Nicole rides her little bike.  We just go around the neighborhood.  I even go to take just Nathan one morning because the girls were with Grammy.

Saturday, we decided to take a family adventure trip.  We rode around the neighborhood looking for garage sales, then road up to a Farmer's Market.  I would say it is 2-3 miles away.  We didn't think Nicole could ride her own bike that far. so I found a child's seat at Goodwill for $5 earlier that week.  Jeremy rode his bike with either Nicole or Hannah in the child seat, and Nate and one of his sisters rode together in the trailer I pulled.  It was a fun family time, a great workout...and something I hope to do a lot more. 

I am so thankful that I found all of these things at such a discounted price!
We paid $115 for 2 bikes, 1 trailer, and 1 child seat.  That is less than the price of one bicycle, or just a few dollars more than the regular price of my trailer.  We've already had a lot of fun, and see lots of potential for many more hours of fun...especially when it cools off.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

The bike trailers are great, aren't they? We bought one when Drew was younger, and now it's Brad's turn to ride in it! I love it!

Amanda said...

I LOVE that last picture of Hannah and Nathan! Their facial expressions are fantastic. And way to go on outdoor family time. I am so tired of this house. Thanks for the motivation!

Aunt Julie said...

Good deal....I like it, thanks for sharing the pictures of the kids also. Miss you all.
Love ya.