Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pre-School

It's always a little awkward when people ask us if Nicole is in Pre-school, or if they ask her if she's going to school.  The good thing is....she totally thinks she's going to school.  It just sounds a little weird to say that we are homeschooling her, as a preschooler.  It's just me probably. 

Anyway, we are homeschooling our pre-school aged daughter:-)  In August, we started meeting once a week with one of Nicole's little friends, Hannah Mae.  We meet for about 2 hours on Mondays and it gives some structure for the rest of the week.  The children start off by saying the pledge of allegiance, counting how many days they've been in school (my friend is homeschooling her 1st grader as well, so they are on more of a schedule than I am), having a little devotion and prayer time.  Then, we work on the topic that week.  We may read books, do a craft, go outside for a little science.  It all kind of depends.  My goal would be to write one blog at the end of the week highlighting what we have done, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I'll recap though the last 6 weeks or so.

Oh, First, the Curriculum we are using is called "My Father's World".  It's Biblically based, scientific curriculum. There are 26 weeks, corresponding with the letters in the alphabet. There is a memory verse and supporting verses each week.  They are crafts, science experiments, reading activities, writing activities and much more.

The first section starts with Creation.  We spent 2 weeks learning about the 7 days of creation. 
Creation timeline (each number has a picture of what was created that day)
Creation book. Again, each page has a project Nicole completed showing what was created that particular day.  I think she has it down (she even told Jeremy last night that she didn't do something because it was Seven, and God rested on the Seventh day! haha)

The first week was the letter S - Sun. 

We painted handprints of the Sun (with Hannah) at home, Nicole practiced writing the letter S, talked about day and night and how the earth rotates and orbits, we tried to make a sundial, we talked abut constellations and stars and did dot-to-dots of different constellations, and made S'mors.Oh, and we made S-S-Slime


The second week was M-Moon.  We read a lot of books about the moon.  We talked again about how the moon orbits the earth and we made craters in flour with rocks to learn how craters on the moon were made.  We read Goodnight Moon, and made our own Goodnight Moon book.  We talked about the moon phases and also learned about the space shuttle and what happened when the astronauts landed on the moon.  I would also recommend this book, Fool Moon Rising, about the prideful moon and how he learns that he does not give his own light, but that he was created to reflect the light from the Sun, and that we were not created to give ourselves glory, but to reflect and give glory to God.





Even Hannah remembered that craters were made by rocks hitting the moon.  Speaking of Hannah...she's a smart cookie!  She listens to everything and remember SOOO much.  It's crazy!



This week we have been learning L-Leaves.  We went on a leaf hunt and collected lots of different kind of leaves.  We did crayon rubbings of the leaves and learned about the different shapes of the leaves.  I have been reading Caps For Sale, with is a Before Five in a Row book (a great pre-school curriculum that just takes high quality books and gives you ideas of how to use those books to teach virtues or math or science or social studies).  Through that book we've been learning about money (the caps are sold for $.50, so today we counted out different ways of making $.50 with coins).  We'll be talking about patterns and colors (things I can with Hannah too).
The leaf rubbing.  There is a Sycamore, orange, Cypress, maple, and basil leaf on here I believe.

I have also been working with Nicole on reading and writing.  For reading, I have been using a Hooked on Phonics curriculum.  It's been a good jumping off point for me, without it....I would be trying to teach her to high above her level.  A few times a week, we sit down at the white boards to learn new letter sound combinations and sight words.  I made this tree in the kitchen.  The apples are the sight words she knows, or common words she need to know before she can read a book, and the flowers are letter sound combinations.  I just did that for fun, to inspire me to continue with her.  She loves to work on the white boards.  Most of the time, I am the teacher and she likes for me to write new words for her to sound out.  But, sometimes she likes to be the teacher and think of words to write.  Yesterday she was just sitting at the board, thinking of words and writing them down (mad, cup, etc).  She even figured out how to make "mad" into "made".

Through our little pre-school time, I discovered a very cool notebook.  It's a primary composition notebook with large lines for beginning writers and a blank space at the top for drawing.  When I bought My Father's World curriculum off e-bay, the person also sent this cool Draw Write Now book that teaches how to draw basic animal shapes, along with sentences for the student to write.
  Nicole practices drawing one animal a week and writes one sentence each time we get it out.  I really like this, because without it, I wouldn't be doing anything art related with her.  It's not easy, but I think it's good practice.
Day Number one: Hens live on Farms


Day 3: Hens lay eggs (do you see progress! I do!)
 Day 1 of pigs: Pigs live on farms.
My friend Jennifer suggested writing the words in yellow marker and letting Nicole trace them.  Nicole can write the letters, but she does not know how to stay within the lines or to leave spaces between words.  Jennifer used to teach 1st grade, so I take her suggestions seriously.  I thought this seemed like a good idea too.  It allows Nicole the chance to write while also helping her stay between the lines and hopefully learn some spacing.  My other friend Amanda also used to teach 1st grade, and she would often tell me that tracing is a good way to learn how to write...I wonder if this is what she meant? Amanda????


Day 2: Pigs stay in pens.  I don't know why this picture is sideways...sorry.  Nicole's pig was much better today.

So, in a nutshell...that's where we are right now with Nicole's school.  I am trying to incorporate time for Hannah too.   I'll post a video of her later trying to say the alphabet.  She is learning so much as well, and listening and absorbing!  It's fun to have learning time with them.  And, quite honestly, the days that we are home and stick to a good schedule, are the days that generally are the best regarding their attitudes.  I think they like the routine and they both really like to learn. 

8 comments:

Amanda said...

This is soooo great, Michele! I really, really love all of it. I'm a little jealous too because I feel like I haven't done any fun learning stuff with Maryn. And I don't want to do any fun stuff with her because she's been such a terror lately. Ah! Anyway, yes, tracing is so good to practice holding the pencil and small motor skills. I always put out drawing books like the one you are using for my students, too. It's great practice for following directions and small motor. I don't know if that would really count as your art for the week...but it really is good for spatial awareness, etc.

I just found an art textbook at Goodwill and it has a bunch of examples of artist's great work (think Van Gogh, Matisse, etc.) and then little examples of kid versions to do. I think Son Light curriculum suggests some good art books, too (like art appreciation more than just drawing/painting). But in preschool you don't even need to worry about all that!

Amanda said...

Here's some art appreciation books that look really cool.
http://www.sonlight.com/art-appreciation.html

Amanda said...

...in preschool kids get art just by being preschoolers I think...

Michele said...

What? you mean I need to learn about artists and styles of art? I thought coloring the mickey mouse coloring book was art. I'm kidding...sort of. You are right, a preschooler's entire life is basically a work of art right now. There is no appreciation (except from parents and grandparents). I'll work on the forms of art later ;)

Tiffany said...

Thanks Michi! I'm glad you shared! You've given me some good ideas-I'm wanting to be much more hands on with Seth, especially with all the memory work we're doing. I think it's really important at his age to be doing fun hands on activities like these. Keem em' comin!

Tiffany said...

Btw, I'm pretty impressed with Nicole's writing skills...that's great! (even before she was tracing the yellow)

Amanda said...

lol sorry I totally sounded like a jerk in my first comment!

Michele said...

Tiffy, I want to hear MORE about Seth's classical communication. I'm going to work MUCH harder at getting Nicole into that next year. I think it is so great.

and Amanda...I don't think you are jerk. I value...SO value your input on school stuff. I really really do.