It all started about 13 years ago, I was a sophomore or junior in high school and I woke up one morning sick. Within a few hours, the right side of my face had swollen up nearly even with my nose. I went to the doctor, they took an x-ray and determined I had a severe sinus infection. After some medicine and a few days rest, my face returned to normal and I sort of forgot about the day.
Fast forward 6 years....I was at the dentist office get my (not so annual) teeth cleaning. The dentist came in and did her little quality check and started examining my right front top "eye tooth" I think (It's next to my middle teeth). She asked to do an x-ray because the whole tooth looked odd. The x-ray showed a dead tooth with a large abscess that had been growing. After answering her questions, we realized that I did not have a sinus infection when I was in high school, rather...my tooth had become infected and was "sick". She told me that I needed to have it removed as soon as possible or one day, probably soon, it would shatter when I bit into something. She was amazed this hadn't happened yet.
Just a week or so later, I was put under general anesthesia for several hours as they removed my tooth and cleaned the yucky infection that had been growing for all those years. The next several days were lost to me. Let me say that I DO NOT do general anesthesia or pain medicine well. I know I was delirious, I know I threw up a lot, and I'm pretty sure I hallucinated a lot too. I even remember driving myself to work one day the next week, but immediately calling someone (my mom I think) to come get me, because I crawled down the hallway into a bathroom (to get sick again). I have no idea how I drove a car that far...it was unsafe! Anyway...the surgery was no good and I pray I don't need a surgery more important ever in my life.
So, now, I was missing a tooth. A very important tooth if you are a girl that smiles and giggles a lot. I had a partial tooth piece that fit in my mouth like a retainer. This was suppose to be temporary...like maybe for 6 months.
6 1/2 years and three babies later, I still have that temporary partial tooth in my mouth. It comes out when I eat (especially something sticky or soft like bread), it doesn't blend with my teeth well, it's annoying, but it has saved me embarrassment over the years (when it' s not sticking to food or falling out when I talk).
Well, today is the day. The day I get to throw away my trusty partial tooth, because in less than 2 hours, I will receive the final installment of my tooth implant. I have been going to the dentist every week for a month now, and before that, once a month for 3 months prepping my mouth for this *new* addition. But, this is it. Today I get the final piece....my *crown*. It will be my permanent tooth that has been custom made for me.
I have high hopes for this tooth. Although I will still cut the corn off the cob and slice my apple into pieces, I will not have to gag in mid sentence as I chew because my tooth has become one with my food. I will not have something to "play" with in my mouth when I get nervous (this is a good thing). I won't ever again have to answer my children's probing questions in the morning as they watch me brush my teeth, with my partial out. I hope I will not have to hide my smile and be concerned about which angle a picture is taken of me.
I have been waiting for this for a long time. I'm scared, I'm excited...I probably will cry!
4 comments:
Awww I will be praying for you. Anesthesia makes me crazy too! I have hallucinations with it and pain killers. :) Not fun. If your pain killers cause hallucinations make sure you tell your doctor! I read that on one of my prescriptions. But of course I didn't call my doctor so I have no idea what that means.
I'm so happy this is finally happening for you. I think one big piece of advice I would give to people wanting to have kids, maybe even before marriage, is to get all the surgeries (like wisdom teeth) and all the things like that you can think of out of the way! Husbands too!
You Poor Baby. I feel sooo bad for you. I go a little nuts also with anesthesia and pain killers.
I am so glad this is the last of getting that tooth fixed. I am suprised the Dr. didn't see that the tooth was infected when he took the xray.
Anyway, your on the mend and we can Praise the Lord for that.
Love you all..
Let me clarify...today was a BREEZE. I had the anesthesia and pain killers 6 1/2 years ago when they did the extraction. Basically, today they put a crown on and now it is beautiful. I think it turned out great. It's odd to not have a whole retainer thing in my mouth...I'll post pictures when I can get someone to take a good one:-)
Amanda...true true about getting all those surgeries done pre-children. I did get the extraction done (the worst part), but my implant took longer. I think I was going to start the implant process just after Nicole turned 1, then I found out I was pregnant and my implant money went to "paying for the baby" fund. But, it's here and I'm happy:-)
Michele, O.........how I remember the days when you were so sick. Never knowing that you had a sick tooth, who would of thought. The days of the past long gone.
BUT NOW, married for almost 7 yrs. and 3 baby's later........today was your day.
Your tooth looks so.....wonderful, natural and beautiful!! I am so......very happy that you are through this, it has been a long.........process. It is amazing how GREAT your tooth looks!! (no one would ever know that your tooth is a crown). You are a beautiful, sweet woman. I love you and adore you.
Post a Comment