Saturday, October 16, 2010

Garage Sale Saturday

This morning, I got to hit up several large garage sales, included a community garage sale.  I went all by myself, which was nice...but lately, Jeremy and the kids have been coming too, and that's also fun.  Today though, I parked my car and walked all over this community looking for some great deals. 

My favorite find was a large trashbag full of pit balls and a blow up swimming pool (the pit) for $3.75 (all I had left).  It is already a huge hit in our house. 


I also found this beautiful lamp shade.
It's exactly what I've been looking for to place in our bedroom.  I am slowly "re-decorating" it.  We have a black and white (with a little green) comforter, white shelves I bought at a garage sale and a few odd and ends to help tie things together.  So, now I have the lamp shade, I've been envisioning...but no lamp.  This is what I want. 

I am willing to find something in another color and spray paint it...be it at Goodwill, a garage sale or something.  I've also considered "making" a lamp if I find a really cool black pedestal that I can run a wire through.  Let me know if you find something to help me complete my piece.  I would LOVE to buy a new bedroom suite too...a black one, but I also think it's absurd to spend $1,000 on something I want but don't need.  Something like this or this,   Our bedroom furniture is great...it's lasted a long time, and I'm pretty sure it'll last many more years.  If I happen to find a great deal somewhere and we have cash on hand, maybe we'll "move up" to an adult set...if not, what we have has been working fine.

Also today I bought a lite-brite for Nicole for Christmas and Twister for a family game night.  I found a big giant, soft truck for Nathan to roll around and several great math books with lots of practice problems.    I feel like I had a pretty good garage sale day. 

When I got home, I took the kids outside to play in the water while Jeremy worked on the yard.  Check out these girls!





5 comments:

Mama Pat said...

Looks like the kids is having a geat time on the slide, and I could tell Nate loved being in the pool with all the ball. They are so funny while they are growing up.
Why don't you spray paint your bed black along with the furniture and you will have your black bed room suite. That wouldn't be hard to do and everything would match,and it would look very sharp.

Just an idea.Love you all.....

Amanda said...

1. It is so weird to see kids playing in water right now! The weather is beautiful here, but far too cold for swimming. I love fall, but it sure would be nice to play in the water, too.

2. You are so awesomely frugal! I like your way much better than mine--buying nothing at all ever and then getting fed up and spending too much in one trip. :)

3. I've never had a bedroom set ever in my life. It's pretty much become the sign to me that, when we do (if we do) ever have a bed that actually has a headboard, that means we've officially "made it." The American dream! Having a headboard! Maybe a footboard too if we are really, really successful!

Michele said...

Mama Pat...you are so very crafty! Hmmmm...I'll have to think about that:-)

Michele said...

Amanda

1. It has been too hot all summer to play in the water (sounds crazy I know). It's finally nice enough to:-)

2. I feel you on that. I often times will not buy anything for a long time and then splurge. Garage saling only works if you have a project or idea in mind and you are patient enough to find the "right" thing you need.

3. I've had my bedroom suite since I was...oh, I don't know....5 or 6 or something. It was a very nice one. There are three more pieces that I can't even fit in our room...it had a desk, a hutch and a tall dresser drawer. Oh, this hurts to say, but it is over 20 years old (I can't believe I own anything that is that old!) Like I said, it works well, so there is no need to change it. But, I would LOVE to have a bed with a tall headboard and a footboard one day too. Right now, the headboard is always covered by my pillows:-) And, really...maybe that does mean we've "made it" because what is the use of a headboard or footboard except to look pretty.

Mama Pat said...

Why not find the kind of head board you want at a garage sale or an flea market, and I would bet you could get most of it in your bedroom. Get some small square paper, and cut out pieces that would be the size of your furniture. You would have to measure each piece to see if it would fit. I would bet your dad knows what I am talking about. Then you could cut each piece to scale to see if it would fit. Is your bed king size or queen? When I get down there sometime, I would help you with that. Maybe we could get it to fit very nice.