Back in 2003, I went on a 10 day mission trip to Russia. While there, I helped to conduct Vacation Bible School with children from 3 missionary families in the city. It was odd to go to Russia, on a mission trip, to minister to children of American missionaries. Now, though, I understand the sacrifice that these families, including the children make, as their parents pour into the lives of people who don't know Jesus. It was a wonderful week of encouragement to these kids. Anyway...while there, one of the moms cooked us an Indian dish.
Last night, we ate it at our house.
So...here is the Indian dish I learned from Americans while visiting Russia (a truly ethnic dish if you ask me!)
1/2 C. Flour
2 Tbs. butter
1/2 C. chopped onions
2Tbs. lemon juice
3 C. chicken broth
1 tsp salt
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp red cayanne pepper
2 C of cooked, shredded or cubbed chicken
1. Brown your flour over direct heat and stir until lighting tan.
Honestly...this is odd to me, I don't usually brown the flour all by itself...but this was how she made it.
2. In another sauce pan, heat the butter, add onions and cook until soft and yellow.
3. Add chicken broth and flour and stir well (I use a whisk to help break up the flour)
4. After the mixture has thickened, add lemon juice and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Once the mixture has thickened, add salt, the spices and chicken.
Heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally. Serve over hot rice.
Serve the dish wish any or all of the following:
Coconut, bananas, grated cheese, nuts, rasins, tomatoes, apples, onions, green onions, pineapple, grated carrots, red pepper...whatever else sounds good to you. ***NOTE - I believe the apples and pineapple are a requirement. The sweetness tastes so good with the spice of the cayanne pepper. It sounds crazy, but it's super yummy!
This is Nicole's plate. She added all the extras she wanted. And, she ate every bit of it!
This was my plate
oh...and this is a killer gravy recipe too. Just don't add the spices and you have a yummy, thick gravy. Thanksgiving is just around the corner....you could look like a genius! I'm just sayin!










1 comment:
YUM!!! That surely does look good. Maybe someday I will make it. Papa Sam hasn't been doing very well.
Will talk to you later...
Love you all so very much.
Post a Comment