Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Nicole's debut Classical Conversations presentation

Each week at Nicole's Classical Conversations (CC) class, there is a formal and detailed schedule to follow.  Part of the schedule included giving each child an opportunity to give a presentation up to 2 minutes long.  Now, my nephew Seth is in CC up in Tennessee.  He has a list of topics for half of the weeks, and the other weeks he gets to choose what he wants.  Honestly...I wish we had that too.  But, we don't have any suggested topic.  Just...whatever the kids feel like presenting. 

This weekend, I told Nicole that she needed to be thinking about some ideas to present to her class.  Yesterday when I asked her she said, "I want to show them how to make a volcano!". 

Um.....honey....wouldn't you like to tell them what you favorite color is....or maybe share you favorite book?

"No mommy, I want to show them how to make a volcano". 

*background*  last week, we did some little "science experiments" and one of the experiments was making a volcano.  Sooo....it was relevant to her life...and it's what she wanted to present. 

We practiced a few times yesterday and she did an AMAZING job this morning. Do you want to see?  I knew you did!  It's two minutes long...and I promise you will smile:-)


6 comments:

Mama Pat said...

Great job! She is one smart cookie, and I am very proud of her. She knew what she wanted to do and she presented it well.

Hanna and Nate are sweethearts also. Very special children.

Love you all....

Karen said...

Nicole, I am so..............PROUD OF YOU!!! What a wonderful,amazing job you did on your presentation!!!

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT JOB!!!!

I love you very.............much

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness! I am very shocked at how great of a presentation that was. What a great example of how good home schooling can be. It is next to impossible to get a first grader to present anything in front of a group of people (not just in USA either, all across the world), let alone a kindergartener. She is such a sweetheart. Tell her I said she did an amazing job! A+++++ to Nicole AND her Mommy and Daddy!

Michele said...

Hahaha...thanks.

Amanda...who knows what she will be like in 2 years. She may not want to stand up there and present. However, if we stay in this group...she'll have to. Each week, every student must make a presentation. Right now they are just to get the children comfortable with standing still and talking. But, as they get a little older, they have to be about the topic we learned that week.

It was amazing to see the difference between boys and girls at her age. The three boys, just stand there and mumble...the three girls are drama queens and are practically dancing around the front! That will change too, I am sure.

Tiffany said...

Yay!!! Way to go! Seth liked this!

Tiffany said...

By the way, she spoke so clearly! You could understand her very well!! Quite the public speaker, Michi, like her momma??