Wondering what to do with all of those leftover Candy Canes? Some moms from our MOPS group brought these treats into our group last week, and I decided to try and recreate them at home.
These are a wonderful treat to make with young children (and I'm sure the big kids will like it too).
Nicole pushed two large marshmallows onto a medium sized lollipop stick (buy them at a craft store).
Jeremy had the great idea of using a styrofoam box lid to help stand the sticks up with.
Then you melt down half a bag of chocolate chips. I microwaved for 30 seconds..stirred, then did it in 15 seconds intervals, stirring between. I used the mini chips because they melted faster. Also, crush up several large or lots of small candy canes. I used a meat tenderizing mallet...you could use a rolling pin or a frying pan even. I would keep the candy in their wrappers, or put them in a large plastic bag. Pour the crushed candy canes onto a small plate.
Now comes the fun part. With a small knife, "frost" the marshamallows with the chocolate (we tried rolling the marshmallows in the chocolate, but I found using a small knife and putting it on like butter worked better. It was less messy and prettier.)
And then roll the chocolate marshmallows into the crushed candy canes.
Place them in the holes in the box lid and let them dry. I'm impatient, so I put them in the fridge.
When they are all nice and dry, wrap them in a small plastic baggie (get at a craft store) and tie with a cute ribbon.
You can also roll these in crushed Graham crackers or sprinkle with sprinkles. They are a cute addition to a child's gift or a sweet (pun intended) gift for a neighborhood friend. These don't have to just be for Christmas time either....use different colored sprinkles or M&Ms or other candies throughout the year. It took us about 15 minutes to make these.
Of course, Nathan was there too...but he couldn't really participate this year. He was to busy eating his Graham cracker.










1 comment:
Those are so cute! Thanks for the idea. Ilike chocolate and marshmallows way better than candy canes!
Post a Comment