Friday, September 20, 2013

CC Fun Friday

We had our first Fun Friday today with our Classical Conversations group.  I invited the community over to our house for a messy project.  We had 5 families come out today, which was just perfect.
Mrs. Ana helping Claire and Hannah work on their water cycle bag.

We started the day by making a water cycle bag, like this one we did earlier this summer.  I hope the kids put it up in their windows and see the water cycle happen before their eyes.
Katrina, Nicole, and Carly's finished product

Then, we talked about Coat of Arms, and why they were necessary during the middle ages.  I used this book as my jumping off point.  After I spent a few minutes talking with the kids about the need and importance of these coat of arm, I let them dig in and design their own.  I think that most of them "got it".  They understood that it was to represent them.  They used poster boards, construction paper, markers, etc.
Diving into the messy project- making a coat of arms on a shield

Little girls, designing their coat

Mrs. Yvette, working with her children on their Coat of Arms

I LOVE this picture!  This is what it's about.  Children talking, laughing, and learning together.  Nicole, Rocco, and Carly

This is the group with their finished project.
Woot woot!

Close of details of their swords

I love their faces in this one.  Great detail on their sword

Some even decided to design swords as well and had a sword fight.  It was fun.
This was intense, but friendly sword fight.

Although the messy projects are the idea behind getting everyone together...what I love the most is the play/fellowship time afterward.  The kids had plenty of time to play together.  They played baseball in the yard, caught frogs, lizards, and anything else they could get their hands on, and even asked if they could play chess.  I LOVED IT!  I loved watching these sweet children play together and get to know one another.
Love this picture too...boys playing baseball in the backyard.  Nothing better!

Lizard and frog catching.  Even little Nate got in on the action.

I am so thankful for the way the Lord brought this community together.  The girls all have very similar "adventuring" interests, the boys seem to all enjoy being with one another, and the moms (and grandma;) are all SO SWEET!  I enjoyed sitting and chatting.  Listening to them share homeschool stores, schedules, diets, budgets, and just about anything else.

My prayer is that these "Fun Fridays" are more than just fun, more than just mess.  My prayer is that they will be a place where community grows.  Families get to know one another.  Friendships are built and strengthened.  This was a great start!

No comments: