Thursday, September 12, 2013

Snakes and Caterpillers

We spent a wonderful afternoon with some new friends today.  This sweet family is involved in our CC group this year.  I just love their mom, and the children are precious!  I'm so happy that my kids are becoming friends with them!

We knew the kids would have fun together because my friend has many plants around for the purpose of attracting butterflies.  They have all sorts of plants, caterpillars, butterflies, etc.  It is so fun!
This is a caterpillar of a swallowtail butterfly.  Isn't it amazing how God created it's camouflage?  It purposefully looks like bird poop!

This is the chrysalis of the swallowtail butterfly.  Again, isn't it's camouflage amazing?  It looks just like the bark of this tree branch!  Can you see the little silk threads?  It's hanging by that, and also attached at the base.  Amazing!



Most impressive today though was a first for all of my kids (and still a NEVER for me!)  They held a snake today!  Katrina and Stephen caught a little ring neck snake this morning and kept it for my kids to see (I would say that was really sweet....but, well...I guess it was ;)
This is a little ring neck snake.  Apparently it's harmless...I was freaked out!


Nicole was super excited, and her excitement got Hannah and Nate excited as well.
Of course, Hannah got a turn holding the snake

And Nathan too!  

The kids had a blast checking out the flowers and caterpillars, swimming (for hours!) and then building a nice safe home for the ring neck snake.
This was the "home" the kids made for the snake.  


New friends...Katrina, Hannah, Nate, Nicole, and Stephen.  

What a great day...My heart is full of thanksgiving!

No comments: