Just short of two years ago I wrote the following note on Facebook, my birthday night...probably 1 or 2 in the morning....
Tonight, my wonderful husband took me out all by myself to celebrate my birthday. We had lots of fun and it was great to relax and enjoy ourselves. So, since we went out, Nicole hung out with my parents. This meant she had to go to bed in a place other than her own bed. Tonight was a difficult transition for her. She normally sleeps through the night and is disturbed very little when we move her from car seat to crib.However, tonight she cried off and on for a long time. I went in a few times to settle her, then the moment I would leave, she would lose it. OK...here comes the sweet part. Finally, I gave in and picked her up. I spent an hour settling and then holding our sweet little girl. What a precious gift from God she is. She finally fell asleep in my arms, and I seriously contemplated sleeping in my gliding chair holding her. As she slept in my arms, she began to dream and smile and even laugh in her sleep. I can not describe the feeling it is to hold such a tiny and beautiful little person and when she is asleep, it is twice the fun. I'm tired and ready for bed, but I would not have traded the past hour for anything. God is so good!
Tonight was sort of de ja vu. The girls went to sleep a bit earlier than normal since they didn't get much of a nap. Jeremy was so helpful tonight after a long day at work and he ended up falling asleep soon after them. I wasn't ready to go to bed yet, so I got a good hour to myself to...well, what else...work! haha. I cleaned the kitchen, folded clothes and stuffed diapers (and listened to 3 John Piper sermons). Just as I was finishing, Nicole woke up crying, which is unusual. She was pretty upset, so I picked her up and brought her into the living room and rocked her for close to thirty minutes. As I sat holding my little girl, I couldn't help but think of the night above, when I rocked and held her for so long in the middle of night as she slept in my arms. Almost 2 years later, here I was doing the same thing (well...it wasn't the middle of night, so that was good). It was wonderful to have her in my arms. Every time I would move she would grab my hand. I got to kiss her, snuggle with her and tell her I love her. It was a precious time for me. I just wanted to share, and really...document the moment. She's sleeping peacefully now, as is everyone else, hehe. I guess it's time for me to hit the hay. Goodnight.
1 comment:
I love this post. Mommy-hood is a beautiful thing!
Post a Comment