Sunday, May 24, 2009

Crash

It's happened. It was inevitable. Only a matter of time. Our time came. Our hard drive - CRASHED. Wednesday night it fried. The sad part, for us, is....we can't even remember the last time we backed up our pictures or our music.

ALL of our pictures and ALL of our music was on our computer. We don't buy CDs anymore, we just buy a song here or there. We haven't printed pictures since August. Jeremy is at our friend's house right now who is pro at all things computers. He said we have a less than 10% chance of getting anything back. It has made us both sick.

To make matters worse, I believe it was Tuesday that I was talking to Greg and Valerie and I said, "I don't think we've backed our pictures up in almost year. I better do that soon". The next day....CRASH.

So....I'm thankful for the blog, because I do tend to post my favorites. I did make slide show of Hannah's first year and it's on a DVD. And, both my dad and my father-in-law have a ridiculous amount of pictures on their computers. I'm a little bummed I deleted my facebook account right now, because I also had a ton of pictures on there I could have gotten back. Our vacation to Disney World, the Lowry Park Zoo, and the MOSI museum are gone, because no grandparents were with us. Our fun little trips to the park on Sundays are gone. Foolish, Foolish for not backing up.

We will be buying an external back up hard drive for next time.

So, I am working off my laptap until we have time to rebuild our computer (thankfully it will only be $100-200 because we just need to buy the hard drive) but the price of our memories and music is far beyond that.

No pictures of the girls for a little while because I don't think I can load them onto my laptop. My laptop is pretty old, but it does the job I need of e-mail and blogging, so I'm happy to have it.

OK....go back up your computer, right now.

5 comments:

Teri said...

Dude. SOOOO sorry.

Anonymous said...

Oh Michele, that is so sad...do what I do, upload all your pixs to shutterfly.com and there they get backed up and never deleted. It works for me.

Michele said...

Thanks for the tip Kirsten...I'm such a lazy bum and just never did it. I deactivated facebook, but I think when we get our new harddrives, I'm going to reactivate and see if I can get my pictures I uploaded onto there. I know they aren't "really" deleted from Facebook. Yeah...totally bummed.

Anonymous said...

I think if you reactivate Facebook, all your friends, photos and videos should still be the way they were when you deactivated it. I'm pretty lazy with uploading and saving my pix too. I only get my photos printed maybe 2x a year...

Aunt Susan said...

Michele,
For $49.95/yr. you can subscribe to Carbonite. It backs up EVERYTHING on your PC continually. If you crash/lose your PC you simply get a new one, go to Carbonite and it will download your files back to your pc.
Aunt Susan