Nicole is very solid in her knowledge of the alphabet and letter sounds. She started sounding words out while we were reading a few months ago. So, I have switched, for right now, from unit studies to a knew curriculum using Sound of the Week. We have almost completed week two. Week one was the letter combination (Amanda...help me, what it is called?) "ck" We looked at all kinds of words that have the "ck" combination, such as clock, truck, duck, etc. Clock was our main theme word. Most of the books and activities we did surrounded the word clock.
This past week has been the letter combo "ee" as in week, sleep, bee, sheep. I chose to use the word week as our theme word and we've been working, a little, on the days of the week. We have also been reading a lot about trees. I really like this sound of the week idea because I see that it's already helping her with sounding words out. Instead of sounding out the word duck as "d-u-c-k" She knows the "ck" is one sound, not two.
With this, we have also been practicing our handwriting. We have not put a lot of effort into this yet. I found some cool pre-handwriting worksheets at this site. (btw...that site is cool for my other mommas out there. There are all sorts of planning sheets for your home, great handwriting practice, math, science and more).
Nicole did ok writing her "c" and "k" last week, but she has rocked the paper and marker this week with the letter "e". Yesterday we were practicing and she said, "Mommy, I want to write my "e" all by myself. I didn't write and example of a dotted "e" for her to follow at all. Check it out.

We also put up a Learning Tree. Each week we learn a new sound, we'll put that sound on a leaf or an apple and stick it to the tree. Last night at dinner, Nicole told her daddy about the tree and said we have "ee" and "ck" up there right now. She seems pretty proud of it.

I realize some of this maybe a little advanced sounding and pushy. I sort of figure that even if she forgets all of this and has to re-learn it, it should be easier the second time around because her brain has already seen these things. In the meantime, I might as well teach her while she enjoys learning. We do our learning time during Hannah's first nap. We have a few minutes of handwriting and sound practice, read a couple books, and do a little craft. I think we both treasure that time together.
5 comments:
Way to go Nicole!! That's one of the best looking "e"s grammy has ever seen!!!
Great Job Mom on the persistency...love the learning tree idea.
Grammy
I totally love this post!
ck is a consonant digraph, as are sh, ph, th, ng, ch. Other digraphs are ee, ea, ie, ei, ai, ay, ey, ou, ow, ui, au, aw...
Blends are especially fun, but difficult for a lot of kids, especially when they are in the middle or at the end of a word (st, pl, str, cr...) I have some cute poems and stuff I could share that help kids practice these things, but Nicole will probably get it pretty easily since she's being worked with one-on-one.
The learning tree is a fabulous idea. You rock mama!
Sounds good to me, I love the e Nicole, you did awesome. Lets see, ie, Julie is one of those words and then put Aunt Julie to it and wow, next time you see me Nicole you not only will be able to say my name but write it for me. You are one very smart little girl and I love you. I love all of you guys.
I want to tell you I enjoyed seeing everyone last week and Nicole it was an awesome to sit next to you at breakfast and help you cut your pancakes up. You impressed Uncle George that you ate so many pancakes.
Love and miss you all.
Aunt Julie
Wow...you are doing great! : ) I am really lacking in the motivation department with learning-but hey, we've almost got the potty training down! (We did go around the hosue however and collect all of the items we could that began with the letter 't' though...) : ) I need to get started on some kind of regular routine of learning time with Seth. Maybe we can e-mail back and forth a little about this, and you could help show me where to get started...Chris and i did meet with Mrs. Abbotoy (who has her masters in montessori teaching) and she gave us some good starters...Anyways, I'm impressed with your progress so far! That's huge that she can write 'e' already! I tried working with Seth with writing his letters finger paint since he lacks the motor skill of doing it with crayon/marker. Keep it up!
Love,
Tiffy
Post a Comment