Last night we were at our friends, Ben & Jami's house, to celebrate Ben's birthday. Our lives have closely paralleled each other, which has been neat, fun and encouraging. I'm pretty sure I was one of the first people to meet Ben when he moved here...and I'm pretty sure he thought my friend Abby and I were completely ditzy girls. Well...it ends up we became friends, then he started working with Jeremy (just before we started dating) and so him and Jeremy became good friends. About the same time Jeremy and I started dating, Ben met Jami. I think they had their first "official" date a week before Jeremy and I did. They got engaged much earlier, but we got married first (a month before them). Nicole was born 6 weeks before their daughter Kristina, and Hannah was born about 3 months after their second, Vanessa. Jami just gave birth to their third child about 4 weeks ago...a boy! So, our sons will be about 3 months apart.
Jami and I have become good friends over the years. It's been fun to have another couple walk a similar path as you. They are sweet friends and we love them.
Well...anyway....we were at their house last night, with a bunch of other people having pizza and cake. Ben, Jeremy and I were hanging out in one of the daughter's rooms watching the kids play. Nicole had left the room several minutes earlier, but we all just assumed she was out in the living room playing with other children or toys. I did hear her squeal every once in a while, so I thought she was just playing somewhere.
Several minutes later, John...Ben's brother, walks in the bedroom with a hysterically crying, very upset little 3 year old. Come to find out, Nicole is such a big girl that she went potty all by herself and locked herself in the bathroom. The poor little thing was terrified, she was shaking and crying so hard. It was so sad that it was funny, if that makes any sense. Obviously she was all right, she just didn't know how to turn the lock back the other way (in our house, our locks are push buttons, so you just turn the handle). So...the little squeals I heard were actually the beginning of her crying for help. there were just so many people there and it was so loud that we couldn't hear her.
I'm pretty sure for now on, she'll at least let me know she's going potty when we are at someone else's house, even if she doesn't need help. hehehe
No comments:
Post a Comment