Thursday, August 6, 2009

Rookery Bay

I decided to take the girls on a whim to Rookery Bay...and it was a SUPER decision. They have a fairly small learning center, but it was perfect for the girls. And....even better...we were the only ones there for the first hour! I was expecting some day camps to be there or something, but nope...just us...no other kids to stress me out. So, I took Hannah out of the stroller, and both girls got to walk around and explore. They have a large fish tank on the floor that was the highlight of day for both girls. At the end, Nicole even got to help feed the fish shrimp. I was impressed, she took the first shrimp and threw it in the water, no problem...but she freaked out about the second shrimp and dropped it on the floor! haha. Hannah would run up to the tank and yell at the fish, the turn away and squeal.

These pictures were taken from my phone, so I apologize they aren't great quality. It also explains why I didn't get Nicole feeding the fish, my camera wouldn't turn on fast enough.


Hannah checking out the fish tank on the floor. She really liked this (and the stairs, but that's besides the point)


They had another small aquarium. Nicole is looking at a flounder. It was cool to take her because she's very inquisitive and asks all kinds of questions. We are hoping to go to the Atlanta Aquarium sometime soon, so I think that will be lots of fun and excitement for her.

Nicole was looking at a display about the birds on the beach. I forget...are these sandpipers?

Upstairs was a history exhibit. They had a lookout station with rocking chairs and binoculars. Nicole knew exactly what to do (although in this picture she's looking inside, not outside). But, I got in trouble from her when I used the binoculars without first putting the strap around my neck. She was adorable! and loved using those things!


We packed a lunch and ate outside. Today was perfect. A storm was brewing so it was not hot and a bit windy. No bugs, no sun...good quick picnic weather. Nicole is "helping" Hannah drink her juice.

We ended our lunch with a walk through the butterfly garden. Nicole even found a butterfly (and didn't freak out). It was a beautiful monarch. Of course, I didn't get a picture of it because my phone was to slow. Oh well.

For my local friends with kids...this was a nice change of pace. It was not busy (at least not today) It was not to big so the little kids get lost. It was CHEAP! $5.00 but print this coupon and get in for $4.00. Children under 6 are free. (The conservancy is $9.00/adult in comparison). We watched a little 10 minute video on Rookery Bay and Nicole was very interested, asking all sorts of questions about the wildlife. Fridays are kids days (kids over 6 get in free with a paying adult) and they said they have a lot of kids activities. The touch tank is open, fish feeding, and crafts I believe. Only a couple more weeks of this though. Tomorrow their emphasis is on oysters. I won't go tomorrow...but I may think about it next week, we'll see. It was a fun little morning trip with a picnic lunch. A much needed "happy time" for our little group of girls. We all had fun, no one got in trouble, and momma was not frustrated. YAY!

No comments: