Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Homemade Flower crayons
I've had my eye on this craft for some time that I first saw on Elle Belle. However, I've been waiting for a while to try it because I didn't want to buy a silicone baking tray at full price. I found a tray full of cute flowers marked way down at Wal-Mart last week...and since then, I've been trying to find time to make these. Today was the day.
This was a fun craft with my little ones....perfect for my preschooler who likes to tear the paper off crayons, and perfect for my toddler who likes to break crayons in half.
Here the girls are getting started.
You simply take the paper off your crayons, break them into small piece and fill your tray.
Then you put the tray in the oven at 250 degrees for 15 minutes (mine actually took more like 25 or 30).
The note on Elle Belle says to make sure you use high quality crayons. I just used whatever broken, falling apart crayons we had...some were NOT high quality, and there was a difference where they were used.
While we waited for the crayons to melt, Nicole got a little creative with the camera.
Waiting, waiting, waiting....
They're done (notice there are a few that are still lumpy....those crayons just wouldn't melt! Those would be the "low quality ones" I believe)
But, I love the final product. After you remove them from the oven, let them cool (we gave them a boost by putting them in the fridge while we ate lunch) and Walla...."homemade" flower crayons.
The lady whose site I got this idea from actually sells these on Etsy.com! She also makes "no roll" crayons...basically melted broken crayons and flattened. Sheesh...why didn't I think of that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














2 comments:
That's so cute! We're definitely going to do it! I should have been doing this for years when I was teaching. I always heard about it but was too lazy. :)
Amanda....it's pretty easy and not messy at all. Your little Tyke (is that what you call him?) would probably really like to break the crayons...especially if you take the time to peel them (which was the worst part about it)
Post a Comment