

The first time Nicole climbed into Hannah's crib was during nap time. It was a difficult moment not to laugh at, and especially difficult not to photograph. However, she had already been in a lot of trouble that day for playing (read....Destroying her room) during nap time. So, she ended up getting in trouble for climbing in the crib.
The second time it happened, was the same night (Monday) just after we put the girls down to bed for the night. I had left for my clipper chicks meeting and Jeremy heard the girls laughing. He again, found Nicole with her blanket, pillow and doggie, all lying in Hanah's bed. Again...she got in trouble.
However, this morning, she climbed in after everyone had woke up from sleeping all night. I finally could resist no longer and took the pictures. They were having fun. I don't mind so much if this happens, as long as it's not during naps or during the night. After naps and night night time is ok. I'm glad Nicole is learning to enjoy Hannah more.
Backpacks filled with love (and school supplies)
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I just haven't been able to resist amazing back to school deals. However, since my kids are not yet in school and I don't have a need for endless supplies of spiral notebooks, I decided I would have a blast "buying" all sorts of free and almost free items and donate them. I decided to donate two well stocked backpacks to Sunlight Homes, a Christian organization in town that takes in at risk pregnant teens and young women. They make them continue their education, do chores, go to church and counseling session as well as prepare them for their new life as a young mom. They provided prenatal support and a safe place for these young ladies. I'm always happy to help an organization that supports life.
So...Monday morning, Nicole and I dumped all the schools supplies onto the floor and began pairing up all the matching pieces (most everything I bought two of)

Then we stocked the backpacks full of items like....(this is from memory)
*3 ring binder
*filler paper
*4 book covers
* a zillion (ok, maybe a little less) of pens and pencils)
*highlighters
*spiral notebooks
*white erase board and markers
*erasers, crayons, scissors, glue
*composition notebook
*protractor
*toothbrush and makeup remover
*and much more

We also filled a bag with "feminine products", band aids, blood glucose meters (for any girls with gestational diabetes), hygiene products, dishwasher soap, and a large box with outgrown clothes (btw...they need boys 18month and larger clothes right now if you have any).
It was a fun activity to do with Nicole because I got to tell her a little about the girls. She was so excited she "drew" a picture for them, "cooked" them some food (in her kitchen), and asked about them throughout the day. She would occasioanlly bring me items and ask me if "the girls with the backpacks" need them. I loved her help and I hope I can do things like this with her more often (especially with my coupons) and teach her to help others.
2 comments:
I love your idea for "backpacks of love". This is such a wonderful idea. I also think its funny how Nicole is getting into Hanna's bed with her. I think they are growing closer and maybe bonding more. That is so neat. Really is cute of them in bed together. Maybe they will start sleeping together....do you think??? Anxious to see you all, and can't wait till you get here. Sept. isn't very far off, just around the corner. Will talk to you later.. Love you all....Mama Pat
Michele: As usual..reading your blog put a smile on my face!! Mike and I love this technology that allows us to keep "in touch" with your family in spite of our distance of 600+ miles away! I love your "backpacks of love"..in the 2 years since Steven has been married and we've had an empty nest, I get melancholoy at back to school time. Our church adopts one of SEVERAL "below poverty line" schools and does a Christmas in July (Angel-Tree type thing). The teachers/administrators put "needs/wants" as ornaments on the tree (we get to keep the ornament and donate the requested item. Then we do a prayer walk around/through the school on the day we deliver the supplies. This year Mike and I took on "folders" wish I had taken a lesson from the CLIPPER CHICKS..as we purchased appx. 500 folders!! SUPER YIKES..but it was such a honor to pray over the folders (after they were all counted :-)) it is a memory I will cherish of my mom and I collecting and counting those folders and Mike's face as we kept handing him BOXES and BOXES of separate colored folders! Bless you, Michele (and your family) as you so richly BLESS others! AND teach your children about the privilege God gives us to share from HIS BLESSINGS UPON US with those around us! In Christ, Patti
Post a Comment