Sunday, April 4, 2010

He Is Risen!!!!

One f my favorite parts of Easter is when, on Sunday morning, someone says to you, "He is risen!!"  and then I get to reply back, "He is risen indeed!!!"

I have some very specific memories of Easter growing up that I want to share.

The church I went to growing up was fairly small...at least in relation to the church we go to now.  I would say that we pretty much knew everyone in the congregation.  Maybe I'm wrong, but from my child eyes, that's the way it seemed.  Each Easter our church would have a sunrise service, outside in the parking lot/field area.  Each family would bring a breakfast dish to share after the service.  The pastor would preach outside, and my favorite part always took place.  Peggy and Sue would sing, "He's Alive" I loved to hear them sing the song and simply looked forward to it each year.  I loved having the church service outside and I loved looking forward to playing and eating afterwards.  Even today, I feel like I need to listen to "He's Alive" each Easter Sunday, but the tape with them singing is long gone.  It's the song of Jesus' resurrection from Peter's perspective.  I'm quite certain this church no longer does the outside sunrise service, and I'm positive Peggy and Sue no longer sing.  But, it is a memory etched in my mind from my childhood that I will not soon forget. 

Like many people, we always dyed hard boiled eggs to hide and find.  However, one year it went awry and to this day it is something our family talks about.  Several months after Easter...I mean, like deep into the summer, maybe longer, my mom was sitting in the living room and started commenting on a gross smell she had just wift.  Later, we discovered the smell...an unfound Easter Egg that had rotted.  It was so horrible, that we had to throw away the couch!!!  Needless to say, we never dyed eggs again after that, just used those plastic ones.  And, today, our family of 5 hides the eggs outside, just in case one is forgotten again.

I feel like, yet again, I've failed by kids.  I want so badly to have traditions, to have holidays that my children look forward to and remember...but it's simply not easy with three very little ones.  I have all the stuff...18 eggs, Easter egg dye, stickers and basket....but, we have not yet dyed our Easter eggs, and it looks like there will be no time today to do it either.  The good thing is, they don't really know any better, yet.  Next  year though...I HAVE to do it (I WANT to do it).  We wanted to do resurrection cookies with them...but didn't get home in time enough before bed last night.  I wanted to talk more about the story of Christ and teach them better about what this day symbolized, I wanted to burn this day into their minds...but I'm pretty sure I didn't.  Not this year anyway.  However, they did get an Easter basket this year...from us.  And I'm excited about that.  They are simple, some robins eggs and jelly beans scattered in the grass.  A giant chocolate bunny, and a new Bible.  But, I think they'll be excited when they wake up and see their goodies.

We are having everyone over to our house today for Baby Back Ribs....I sure hope we cook them well!!!!

Have an enjoyable Easter and remember.....HE IS RISEN!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are glad you remember those things. It gets tougher every year to carry out those great plans we have as Parents, but don't worry you are providing many memories for your kids ( You know...Like a smelly couch!) PaPa

Karen said...

HE HAS RISEN INDEED!!! I am glad you have fun and special memories as a child.That was very important to dad and me.

I also miss Peggy and Sue sing HE's ALIVE, a special song, for a HOLY morning. The whole egg thing rotting in the couch, GROSS, how about the tiny flies that I couldn't figure out where they we're coming from what a STINKY NASTY MESS!!!! hahahaha. You are doing a great job to make memories for you children, they will remember things that you have forgotten about. Trust me!! Can't wait to come over today.

enjoy the day, for HE HAS RISEN!!

Tiffany said...

That's so funny about the couch! hahaha!

Don't worry Michele! I'm right there with ya. It's so hard to make time for the extras (when you're so busy with the non extras!) I want to create those memories for my children too, and I have a feeling the longer I wait, the harder it'll be, just like your dad said. Grandparents can be my cop-out too. It's like, why would I go out and by them yet ANOTHER bag of candy when they've got all this? I'm bad, I know. Maybe we could challenge each other in our tradition making. Have you ever read Noel Piper's Treasuring God in our Traditions?

Anyways, I thought I may go out and by the dye and wraps tomorrow when everything's 50% off anyway! :)

Anonymous said...

Michele, I must admit, I did NOT get all the way through reading your blog......He's Alive is available on Youtube and I love that song also. Our church did a fantastic job this morning with the whole praise and worship part of that. Awesome.
Hard boiled eggs....may I ask...is this why your mom hates deviled eggs??????? She always, says get those stinkin rotten smellin things away from me. Need to know the answer of this one.
I am so glad you have such wonderful memories growing up. Continue to make it special for your kids. They will remember it all also.
Happy Easter....He is ALIVE...He is Risen!!! Praise God!!!!
(((HUGS)))
Love,
Aunt Julie