In fact, tonight I'm cooking Bacon wrapped chicken Terriaki skewers and Lime-Cilantro rice with pineapple with Caramelized Green Beans. Hmmm...that sounds ambitious for a Friday night. Maybe we'll have this dinner tomorrow night when I have Jeremy home to help (and since I forgot to buy chicken today at the store).
So...instead, tonight we'll have Stuffed Pizza Rolls. I'd like to also try their recipe for Fudgy Mint Brownies, Sweet Potato Fries, and Coconut Chicken....to name a few. What on their site looks yummy to you???
So, yesterday, the kids and I decided to try making Strawberry Freezer Jam, which I found on their site. It was simple, and has resulted in some yummy fresh jam. The recipe I used does have a lot of sugar. I think later this week, I'm going to make more with the lower sugar recipe and see how it goes (and maybe add blueberries...what do you think?). But, with strawberries so cheap right now....I can make enough jelly for the year for the price it costs for two or three jars at the store. And, it was easy and kid friendly.
We just got done washing the strawberries. Now, I will be cutting the tops, Hannah will be dropping the cut strawberries in the bag, and Nicole will be holding the bag open.
We are mashing the berries by hand because I don't have a potato masher. I think next time though, I may use the blender. I don't particularly like having chunks in my jelly. But, this worked, and was a lot of fun for the girls. We really got our hand yucky.
Pouring in the sugar and mixing it up.
The containers I bought were to big. Today I just purchased little 9 oz containers that will be better for next time. I didn't want to fill them all the way up because they were so big. Next time I'm expecting to get 5 or 6 smaller containers.
Today at lunch, we made PB&J with our fresh jam. It was really good...but really sweet too. I wish I had some fresh home made bread to put on top (Teri???)
My mommy friends out there...you really need to try to cook with your kids...at least on occasion. It is messy and slower, but it's a great learning experience.




6 comments:
So I just found this same website a couple of days ago, and can't wait to try the jam! But when I went to Target I couldn't find the Sure-Jell.
AND I've been on a homemade bread kick this week, so when I make the next batch I'll bring you some-if you tell me where you found the Sure-Jell packets. :)
Walmart or Publix in the baking aisle, usually near the jello or gelatin products...probably the top shelf.
My mouth is watering for bread:)
Hey....do you use a bread machine or are you making your bread another way? I need a good recipe, I can't seem to find one that works well for me.
Your girlies are too cute!!
My friend Hope makes the most fabulous bread and I am waiting for the recipe! She said a lot of times it depends on the flour you use, so you might have to experiment a little. That's why one recipe works for one person and not another.
I love the jam recipe! That sounds like the perfect thing to make with little kids.
Do you have a pastry cutter/blender? We use that when a recipe calls for a potato masher and it works really well. I always think I should buy a potato masher for everyone I know that gets married. It's just one of those things a lot of people don't think to buy or they don't think they'll need it, but we need one ALL the time! And hardly ever for potatoes!
And you're right about cooking with kids. Maryn is already very good at cooking and knows what I mean when I say we're going to get some flour. She runs to our flour bin that's in the hallway and holds the bowl as I dump it in, and carries it back to the kitchen. It's a terrifying experience watching her carry it back, but it's worth the reward as I see her proud little smile. :)
Aah! And I was just at Publix today too. Oh well.
I don't have a bread machine,so I just use good old fashioned kneading power. (which is more fun, although it takes longer.)
Post a Comment