Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Is anyone there?

I have not been very good about updating my blog lately.  I feel like I haven't really had the time.  When I do have the time...or least a few minutes of it, I sit down and can't think of anything meaningful to say.  I guess I'm in a slump. 

Yes, I have pictures to share.
Yes, we have been doing things.
But, I just don't feel like taking the time to download, then upload, then describe the pictures. 

The children are doing well.  I took Nicole to a lunch theater presentation of Cinderella last week.  It was a lot of fun spending time with just her.  She enjoyed the show and got to meet most of the cast afterward.  After meeting Cinderella and sitting next to her for a photo op, this was what Nicole had to say, "mommy, her dress was kind of crunchy and kind of soft".  She also wanted to know why her dress was not blue.  For lunch, Nicole chose to eat Jello, french fries and cake.  It was her special day with me, she got what she wanted:-)

Hannah has gone back to struggling between being a baby and a big girl.  1 1/2 - 2 1/2 is a really hard stage mentally for children, I think anyway.  They want to be "big kids" (especially if they have an older sibling), but they also want to be babies to (especially if they have a younger sibling).  So, she's been a little emotional lately and just struggling to get through it.  It's actually really sweet to watch.  She gets frustrated because Nicole can do things that she can't yet (like, pour her own milk, or make her own PB&J).  But, then a moment later, her only mode of transportation will be if I carry her around, because she refuses to walk.  So....she's in a bit of a rough spot, but I know it will pass and soon, she won't want to be a baby at all anymore!

Nathan is sitting up extremely well now. We got rid of his baby car seat.  He's in a large convertible car seat now, and seems to love it.  He went grocery shopping with me the other day and got to sit up in the cart.  I'm pretty sure he loved it.  He is working on getting into a hand and knees crawling position, but still isn't there yet.  It's ok, I'm not ready.

Speaking of crawling, I have been working hard getting my house in order for a crawling baby around.  I'm training the girls to find "choking hazards", and working to pick up clutter. 

We are trying really hard, as a family to eat better.  It started with the removal of soda from our home.  Jeremy and I both were drinking several cans of soda a day.  So, we stopped, cold turkey....had some serious withdrawl headaches...but we've been soda free for 3 1/2 weeks now.  It's good.  We both feel better.  We watched a movie called Food Inc....a documentary about where our food comes from, how it's  processed and how the businesses run.  It's repulsive, I wanted to just stop eating all together, but I didn't.  So, I am working hard at trying to make healthier meals and snack choices.  It's MUCH more time consuming, but between eating more veggies and drinking less soda, we are feeling better physically than we have in a long time.  Now we have to add exercise to the mix.  That's the toughest one for us.  We seriously do not have time, unless we give up family time, which we are just not willing to.  So...we'll see about that.

Jeremy is working hard, he has some big jobs over the next couple of weeks. I am just doing my thing here.  I'm working on keeping a more orderly home, cooking fresh, healthy meals, and trying to get back in routine teaching my kids through fun activities.  So....that's it.  I'll try to think of something more exciting to share next time.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I thought that was a GREAT post! I am especially interested in what you said about Hannah since Maryn is 1 1/2, and I see the same kind of behaviors...and she is going to be a big sister soon, too! I just love little Hannah. All those notes about your kids at their different stages will be good memories for later. Imagine how interesting it will be to see how they change (or how they stay the same!).

Michele said...

Amanda....I just wanted to say that I miss you.

Amanda said...

lol...okay! I miss you too!

Tiffany said...

I thought the post was great too. I had begun to think you guys fell off the face of the Earth. Haha..not really. I can understand the times where you can't blog. I start to feel a ltitle in the dark when there's not been a blog for awhile, especially since I'm bad about calling. :(

That's so fun that Nate is sitting up. Its been a relief to me when my kids get to that stage. They seem more content. Very interesting about Hannah, poor little gal, she's a little confused right now. :)

I was interested to read about the food stuff (of course). This is just one more area we can encourage each other in. It's a big responsibility to feed your family, and we probably shouldn't take it lightly. Good for you guys with the soda thing. (I don't know if I'll EVER kick the diet coke). My kids are still young enough that I can tell them "no" they can't have it, and they're ok with it. That could change soon.
Well, speaking of feeding my family. I'm gonna go and fix some spaghetti-no its not organic pasta sauce, or pasta. ;) hehe

Love,
Tiffy

P.S. Sorry, I didn't really mean to make this like an email. I guess I just get a little carried away!

Ben N Jami said...

To be honest it's been a while since I've checked your blog because I've been without a computer since we moved. I enjoyed reading and catching up.
You encourage me so much! I love to read what you do with the girls (oops, I mean kids LOL) and how your always finding ways to teach them (that's the teacher in you!!).
I can't believe how BIG they are and I simply ADORE Nikki's hair cut!! Super cute!
I totally relate about the food stuff (hit a passion button there) so I won't go super into it other than I'M SO PROUD OF YOU GUYS!!

Aunt Julie said...

Very good Michele. Thank you for the update on the kids. I am so glad that the girls are learning to cook and help out in the kitchen. Nicole...eating flour....oh my. I am so glad you have this blog and we can see the kids with us being so far away. We miss you guys. God Bless!!!
(((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))