Thursday, July 8, 2010

Memories in the Kitchen

When my children look back on their childhood, I hope that one memory that comes up is time in the kitchen.  Daily my kids help me with breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.  Not always every meal, but they are always there for at least most of them.  As Nicole is growing up, I am enjoying the opportunity to teach her more and give her more freedom to work with me in the kitchen. 

Lately, we have been making homemade semi-whole wheat hamburger buns on a weekly basis.  First, let me tell you they are DELISH!  Super yummy.  I don't think I ever want to buy a pack of hamburger or sandwich buns again.  The recipe, found here, is really easy and quick.  She calls them 30 minutes hamburger buns (it's more like 40 though for me). You can also make little dinner rolls our garlic bread from this recipe too.  Whatever you want. 

Anyway, Nicole loves to make these with me.  This is such a terrific learning opportunity.  We get to talk about yeast and why it's needed in bread (which then leads to conversations about how Jesus used the example of yeast in several parables), she gets to practice fractions, addition and division with me as we manipulate the recipe, she gets all kinds of practice in gross motor skills like scooping, pouring, mixing and even kneading.  Yes, kneading.  I think that is her favorite part.  She loves trying to knead the dough, and she's getting pretty good at it. 
(she's eating flour....gross!  To each her own though)

Sometimes I think I can teach them almost everything they need to know while we are in the kitchen.  Maybe I'll try:-)  Today I was teaching both Nicole and Hannah how to peel a carrot (with MUCH supervision).  There are some definite dangers in the kitchen, but I feel like if I teach them how to listen to me, use the tools properly, and follow recipe instructions, they will be more comfortable, and more safe cooking in the kitchen.

Hannah also likes to help in the kitchen, but she usually gets kicked out for eating all the ingredients before making it into everything...and I'm not talking a little nibble here or there...I'm talking about eating ALL of something.  I even want Nathan to cook with me...for now, he just watches from the bumbo or the exersaucer.  As long as I turn around every now and then and make a goofy face at him, he's content.

Here are a few random pictures from today of the kids.  I love these three.  They are precious to me!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Thanks, that's a good reminder for me. I really need to get Seth in there more with me. I think he's interested at times, but since its obviously a lot faster just to 'get it done' I pass up those opportunities a lot. I've saved the hamburger bun recipe you sent me awhile back in my inbox, and I keep seeing it there, meaning to just print it off and make them. I will do that. Sounds great!

Amanda said...

You are so right about helping in the kitchen. I love to have Maryn in the kitchen with me. It's actually less of a hassle in some ways because I'd rather have her in there than watching a cartoon or...writing on her face with permanent marker...lol. She just learned how to crack eggs ALL by herself, which is incredibly frightening and messy, but we do it in a separate bowl in case there are shells. Maryn loves to eat flour, too! Some of my best memories are of cooking in the kitchen with my mom, dad or grandmother. But I wish they'd spent more time teaching me cooking skills, for sure.