Examples:
~Obviously we said the alphabet over and over (usually she only sees capital letters...this book was great because it also introduced her to lowercase letters...or baby letters as she calls them).
~We pointed out different colored letters on the pages
~We counted different letters
~We talked about shapes (mostly circles)
~Here is where it gets fun. We were outside playing earlier this week and I pointed out to her that we have a coconut tree in our yard...immediately she said "Boom Boom". So...she was relating the book to what I just told her.
~This was the best part....Let me tell you about today!
Our friends Brooke and Bryan have to little boys, Peyton (almost 3) and Caulder (almost 1 1/2). When they got here, we sat the kids down and read the book to them (they all knew it well). Then we went outside and Painted Coconuts (that had fallen out of our tree!). Peyton painted his like a dinosaur. Nicole...well...she just painted and had fun. Caulder painted on paper. Then we ate a snack of alphabet shaped cereal. For lunch, we had alphabet soup (I couldn't find any coconut to eat too). Do you see though how we tied in the book to the fun things we did the rest of the morning? That's kind of what I want to do.
Here's a picture of the kids
The coconuts
Tomorrow is August 1...and that's when we officially begin. I'll write you tomorrow to share what we will be talking about this month.
I can't leave out sweet Hannah. Isn't it cute how she sucks on those middle fingers?
6 comments:
That is awesome Michele, your such a creative mommy!! I also see that you have the pavers down! They look good from what I saw.
Thanks Jen...they are awesome! I'll post paver pics once I get some plants and the sod put down:-)
Sounds great! We LOVED the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom unit! They love the book -- our library has the dvd of the book which is a lot of fun to watch -- I love how Scholastic does that!
We also did the Brown Bear unit and it was a huge hit :-)
As for dogs, I have a post somewhere on my blog about our unit with dogs lol... it was fun! We also did a huge rabbit week, which I blogged about as well, and the girls LOVED it.. they still love Peter :-) The BFIAR manual has great ideas and then HSS has a special section for extra supplemental things for FIAR and BFIAR units.. I really loved those!
Ok letters and numbers -- we tried letter of the week -- we didn't love it but it is great and does what you are talking -- What I liked to do was use it and make it my own, so you can try that. www.letteroftheweek.com. Also HSS has an alphabet lapbook that is fun!
As for being a fly on my wall, yes we have a lot of fun, but we also have down times -- I am an assistant for Heart of the Matter and are in the middle of our huge online conference so the girls have been having a lot of fun playing and watching a lot of tv the past two days lol. We have our ups and downs, just like anyone else :-)
Hey there!
Sorry for not replying back sooner -- the conference had me pretty busy this weekend. Yes the authors I referred to are all awesome Christians. I believe you were inquiring specifically about the list in that post including Cindy Rushton, Ruth Beechick, Robin Sampson, Elizabeth Foss, Katrina Kenison, Ami Brainerd, Loree Petit, the Lambers and Charlotte Mason?
Cindy and Elizabeth are modern day CM followers who are very Christian and just speak to my heart so much, putting Charlotte's wonderful thoughts on education (Charlotte is also very Christian) in a modern way that I can actually do and enjoy :-) Ruth Beechick is definitely Christian and has written a TON out there -- I recommend all of her stuff, especially the 3R's. Robin Sampson is on of our writers for HOTM and is such a gift -- Her book, The heart of wisdom Teaching approach -- totally changed my outlook on education and homeschooling and is what I will be using for the rest of our journey. Katrina wrote the Mittenstrings for God book that is just so wonderful -- not really an approach to education really but for life that I will be applying into our homeschool. Ami Brainerd runs HSS and is of course AMAZING and very Christian, Loree wrote Galloping the Globe, is very Christian and really speaks to my family's love for travel, culture and geography. And, finally, The Lamberts -- HUGE CHRISTIANS -- wrote Five in A Row.
I love reading the comments you are leaving on my blog and hope to offer anything I can to help... I definitely don't have this whole thing figured out, as I am just about a year ahead of you, but my obsessive personality helped me to learn A LOT very quickly so I am more than happy to share that with you either through comments, through my prior blogging posts or personal emails :-)
Have a great week!
Hey Michele, Those pictures are really sweet. you and Jeremy are so blessed, and we are so proud of you for being the sweet mother that you are. That picture of Happy Hanna sucking those 2 fingers is just darling, and that Nicole, what a sweetheart. Keep up the great work, and I like the home schooling idea. Sounds great... Very proud of you......
Love ya, Mama Pat
I am so.........thrilled as a YAYA (grandma), that you are able to stay home to be with the girls, I know that you work very hard with Nicole, she is at such a great learning age, and so........eager. You have such fun learning actives for her that she will enjoy and be not bored with. Your family is truely BLESSED!!!
Hugs, mom xoxox
Post a Comment